Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Did I really just do that?





Oh, good grief.  The god of woodworking is effing with my brain.  I'm making this little drawer for a cabinet, and I screwed up one of the sides three separate times, so I decided to take a picture of it and share, in my self-deprecating way, my little story of woe.

See, three different attempts and each time I made some stupid mistake laying out the dovetails.  So, hey, maybe I'll turn that into lemonade and share it on my blog.  Snap a picture, get back to work, and do it right this time.  Cut the curves along the tops of the sides....


Fast forward to the next morning.  I go into the shop, pick up the completed and assembled drawer and look at it.  Hey, the groove along the bottom edge for the bottom to slide into needs a little fiddling with.  Pick up a block of wood to tap the side off, give it a whack........




It seems I forgot that I actually glued it up the day before.  There is no saving it.  If I were to calculate the hours I have worked on this cabinet and divide that into what I hope to sell the cabinet for, well... I'd be doing better working at McDonald's.  

Okay, pity party over.  I'm not in it for the money, fame, and fast cars anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment